request a transcript

Official Transcripts

Embossed with a seal, official transcripts may be picked up from the Registrar's Office or sent to you or an institution directly. Transcripts cost $5 each with a rush option for an additional $10 per order - not per transcript.

To request a transcript, download a Transcript Request Form. Transcript requests may be submitted by email to, mail or in person. Regular transcript requests take up to ten business days to process, while rush requests shorten the processing time to three business days.

We accept payment by check, money order, and credit card in person. Payment by credit card can be done over the phone with the Registrar's Office. Pease see further details on the Transcript Request Form. 

Mailing Address:
Registrar's Office
San Francisco Art Institute
800 Chestnut Street
San Francisco, CA 94133

School policy dictates that we suspend requests for transcripts, certificates, diplomas, or other SFAI document if you have an outstanding obligation to a school office, such as Student Accounts, Library, Financial Aid, etc. An outstanding obligation is posted as a 'hold' on your account and can be verified by our office. Please settle your accounts before requesting a transcript or other document.

We use First-Class service by the United States Postal Service for mailing documents. You can provide your own stamped/metered/prepaid envelope for other methods of delivery such as FedEx, UPS, and DHL.

Unofficial Transcripts


The request process for unofficial transcripts is the same as the request process for official transcripts. Therefore, filling out the Transcript Request Form is necessary to request unofficial transcripts as well as official transcripts. As of September 11, 2012, we do not send unofficial transcript requests via email. We only send unofficial transcripts by mail or fax. Unofficial copies are free if requested to be faxed and $5.00 if requested to be sent by mail.

Current Students

Currently enrolled students can use WebAdvisor to generate an unofficial transcript. All transcript requests not accessed through WebAdvisor, available to currently enrolled students only, require the student to request them as you would an official transcript.

Same day requests will not be promised nor guaranteed.

Certificate of Graduation

A Certificate of Graduation verifies your degree and is sealed and signed by the Registrar's Office. To request a certificate at $5 per copy, download a Certificate of Graduation Request Form. Certificates take up to ten business days to process from the date of confirmed payment.

Enrollment Verification

An enrollment verification verifies that a student is enrolled in the term of which they request an enrollment verification. Enrollment verifications are typically used by students when students are applying for childcare and food stamp services and student loan deferments. Enrollment verifications take up to 24 hours to process. Please indicate a receiving fax or mailing address or if you would like to pick up the verification from our office on the Enrollment Verification Form.


Diplomas are available five to seven weeks after the spring term for students whose final term is the fall or spring semesters. For students whose final term is in the summer, diplomas are available five to seven weeks after the summer term. Diplomas bear the student's name as indicated on the student's Petition to Graduate Form.

A Replacement Diploma can be ordered for $65. To request a Replacement Diploma, download the Diploma Order Form. If you are a senior, planning to graduate, you need only to fill out the Petition to Graduate Form - not the Diploma Order Form. 

Diplomas are sealed and signed by the SFAI President, Dean of Academic Affairs, and the Chair of the Board of Trustees. 


An apostille is an international certificate honored by countries subscribed to the 1961 Hague Convention. The office can help facilitate your apostille request at $45 per document. An apostille can be affixed to a certified copy of a transcript, certificate of graduation, or diploma. You may send your original diploma for our use, but you must order all other documents with us and pay additionally for the corresponding charge--$5 for transcripts and certificates of graduation, and $65 for a replacement diploma, to ensure legal validity. 

To obtain the apostille, our office takes copies of the academic documents to a notary, who certifies the copies. We then mail the certified copies with a twenty-dollar check and cover letter to the California Secretary of State's office in Sacramento, which mails the documents, with the apostilles, directly to you or to the address you provided in the self-addressed envelope you provided our office. In our experience, it is best to have each type of document have its own apostille--for example, an apostille for a copy of a transcript, and an apostille for a copy of a diploma.  

To request an apostille, please fill out an Apostille Request Form and follow these steps:

1.  Download and complete the Apostille Request Form along with the request forms for other documents you need to order, such as a transcripta certification of graduation, or a replacement diploma.

2. Send the request forms and a self-addressed parcel in which your documents will be mailed by mail or hand it in to our office in person.

3. If you are providing us with your original diploma for us to copy, provide a second parcel in which we will enclose your original diploma, which we mail back to you after we make a copy of it in our office. We validate the document with our records prior to taking the copy of the diploma to the notary. You may provide your own label to track your original diploma in the mail. Make sure you note the tracking number before sending the label to our office.

3. After you receive confirmation with our office that we have received your requests and we confirm your payment due to the Cashier's Office, make your payment to the Cashier's Office. 

4.  The apostille process takes up to 20 days. We appreciate your patience!

For more details, or if you want to submit the request yourself, visit the apostille section of the California Secretary of State website: