The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is an international exchange program funded by the U.S. Department of State with the goal of facilitating cultural exchange and promoting mutual understanding. There are two kinds of grants available:

  • A study/research grant allows applicants to design their own project, research, or study plan to take place during one academic year in a country outside the U.S.
  • An English Teaching Assistantship is designed for a fellow to teach part-time in a local school (typically well outside the capital city of another country), fully integrating into the host community.

Complete eligibility information can be found on the Fulbright website, but basic eligibility is as follows:

  • Be a U.S. citizen at the time of application. Permanent residents are not eligible.
  • Hold a BA degree or the equivalent before the start of the grant, but not hold a PhD (students enrolled in a PhD program are eligible).
  • Have a sufficient level of language proficiency, depending on the chosen country.


Students interested in Fulbright Grants should review the Fulbright Program website before making an appointment at the Career Resources Center. The Campus Fulbright Committee, composed of staff and faculty, will host information sessions each semester and will assist interested students and recent alumni in refining and improving application materials. Applications are usually due in September, though applicants begin working on their applications up to one year in advance. The application process is quite rigorous, and prospective applicants are advised to begin the process during the spring semester at the latest.

For a complete information about the program as well as detailed application instructions, please visit the Fulbright Program website.