federal and state grants

Federal Pell Grant

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are usually awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. The maximum Pell Grant award for the 2011-12 award year (July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2012) is $5,550. The amount you get, however, will depend not only on your financial need, but also on your costs to attend school, your status as a full-time or part-time student, and your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less. You must be enrolled at least half-time and in a program that leads to a bachelor’s degree. To apply for these grants you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG is a federally funded supplemental award given by SFAI to Pell Grant recipients who qualify for the full amount of the Pell Grant. The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) program is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Pell Grant recipients with the lowest expected family contributions (EFC) will be considered first for a FSEOG. Just like Pell Grants, the FSEOG does not have to be repaid. FSEOG is a limited fund so only students who complete their FAFSA in a timely manner will be considered for this grant.

Cal Grant and Other State Grants

To qualify for the California State Grant Program (Cal Grant), you must be a U.S. Citizen, a Permanent Resident, or an Eligible Non-citizen and a California resident attending an eligible school in California at least half-time. To be considered for a Cal Grant, the FAFSA and GPA Verification Form must be filed by March 2 of each year.

If included in your award letter, the amount is estimated based on the projected state budget and the income, household, and asset information reported on the FAFSA. Cal Grant eligibility is subject to confirmation before the amount can be applied to a student’s bill. You will be notified via revised award letter if your estimated Cal Grant eligibility changes. If you receive a Cal B stipend, you may request that the funds be issued to you for books; otherwise, they will be applied to your direct costs. Residents of states other than California may be eligible for state grants for attendance at SFAI. Contact your state’s department of educational assistance for specific information and application procedures for students who study out of state.

For additional information or questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office.