Sara Eliassen is an artist/filmmaker based in Norway and the United State. Her films are conceptual narratives that deal with issues of cinematic representation and construction of language. She is currently working on the film Passing Time, about a woman whose memories blend with those of other historic filmic female protagonists. The source material for this project is a series of videos made of the artist’s own isolation in a hotel room during weeks in a deserted beach town in Normandie. Her film Still Birds premiered at the Venice Film Festival in 2009 and has been screened at several other national and international film festivals. Eliassen was a studio fellow at The Whitney Independent Study Program in 2011.
- Mass Distractions and Cultural Decay, curated by LaToya Ruby Frazier, Mason Gross Galleries, Rutgers University, 2011
- Sundance Film Festival, 2010
- The 66th Venice Film Festival, La Biennale di Venezia, 2009
- MFA, Film, San Francisco Art Institute, 2010
- The Independent Study Program, Whitney Museum of Art, New York, NY