The San Francisco Art Institute has named Reagan Louie the Chairman of the photography department. The appointment continues his long service at the Institute. As a professor, he has taught in both the undergraduate and graduate programs.
Louie’s role as an art educator is complimented by a distinguished career as an artist. His photographs have been exhibited and published widely. His work has been shown at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the Fotomuseum Winterthur in Zurich, the Gwangju Biennale in South Korea, and Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Louie’s photographs are in numerous public collections including the Metropolitan Museum of Art, MOMA New York, and the LA County Museum of Art. He is the recipient of the Guggenheim Fellowship, the National Endowment for the Arts, and the Fulbright Fellowship. Louie’s book on China, Toward a Truer Life, was named the best photography book of the year by the New York Times Book Review and his book, Orientalia, was selected as one of the best photography books of the year by American Photography Magazine. His new book, Let A Thousand Flowers Blossom, is forthcoming.
- View From Here, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, 2009
- The Darkside, Fotomuseum Winterthur, Switzerland 2008
- 7th Gwangju Biennale, Gwangju, Korea, 2008
- Beyond Beauty, Duke University Press, 2009
- The Darkside, Steidel, Zurich, Switzerland, 2008
- Orientalia, Powerhouse Books, New York, 2003
- MFA, Yale University
- BA, University of California, Los Angeles