McNair found photography while completing a BA in cultural anthropology. His work draws parallels between the lives of individuals and universal shared experiences and is most recognized for a distinct and metaphoric use of light. Aperture PhotoBook Review, Oxford American, Conscientious, A Photo Editor, VICE Magazine, Bloomberg Business Week, Le Monde, CNN Photos, and USA Today have published his work. In 2012 McNair was nominated for the John Gutmann Photography Fellowship Award and he is currently an Artist in Residence at San Francisco’s Rayko Photo Center.
- A Journal of Southern History, Rayko Photo Center, San Francisco, 2013
- Playing by the Heart, Gauntlet Gallery, San Francisco, 2013
- Survey of Documentary Styles in early 21st century Photobooks, Carte Blanche Gallery, San Francisco, 2012
- Oxford American, “The New Super Stars of Southern Art,” No.76, The Visual South 2012. pp. 55, 91.
- Rabkin, Claire. Moholy Ground Project, Issue 005, 2012. pp. 26 - 39.
- Strickland, Ashley. “Chasing Hope on the railways.” CNN Photos. March 25, 2013
- Colberg, Joerg. “Contemporary Photographers: McNair Evans.” Conscientious. October 3, 2012
- MFA, Academy of Art University
- BA, Davidson College