Born in Springfield, Missouri, Joshua Smith earned his BFA from Missouri State University in 2003 and his MFA in photography from the San Francisco Art Institute in 2007. Smith has been living and working as an artist and educator in the Bay Area since 2004, and during that time has explored various photographic projects and has exhibited widely within the Bay Area and beyond. Currently, Smith is engaged in a project that explores the vestiges of image-based advertising and its meaning in contemporary society. He currently resides in Pacifica, CA.
- 50 x 50, Sanchez Art Center, Pacifica, CA, 2010
- Intersection, 21 Grand, Oakland, CA, 2010
- San Francisco Meets Regensberg, Kino Akademiesalon, Regensberg, Germany, 2009
- Cheng, Dewitt. “Pick of the Week: Intersection.” East Bay Express, Oakland, CA, April 21, 2010.
- Wiedaman, Susanne. “Vanessa Woods und Josh Smith Zeichen Ein Mysterioses BIld der Menschen Und Stadte der USA.” Mittlebayerische (German Newspaper), July 8, 2009.
- Various Photographs, edited by Tim Barber, April, 2008.
- BFA, Missouri State University
- MFA, San Francisco Art Institute